A picture of my desk this morning…
I’ve started painting the heads. Always, some come to life, others never do.
This is what I’m working on for my February Softie. Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum. Crocheted cotton.
I need to get this fur dyeing project going. Today I tried using dyes meant for human hair. I bought the cheapest dye I could get at our local drug store- it is still significantly more expensive then buying fiber dyes- ouch! When I did the wig making workshop at WOW! last spring, the instructor said we should use semi-permanent dyes to dye mohair. I am not dyeing mohair, but I thought it would apply. Unfortunately the semi- permanent hair dye was twice as expensive as the permanent, so of course I needed to experiment with both.
First is the semi-permanent-
not very good. I am trying for black. I got a purpley grey.
Then the permanent dye-
Much better! I need to look at it again tomorrow in good sunlight, but it looks hopeful. The Cashmere goat, which is long and very straight, came out an excellent black. The other two furs, kalgon lamb and pearl lamb, came out a nice dark brown. I had had no luck getting any decent color before this, so I am very pleased.