A pattern for Clover’s petticoat. 11 1/2″ doll
This petticoat is made out of a nice, old linen handkerchief that already had a lace edge on it.
(step 0- go to your stash, sort through the 500 vintage handkerchiefs you have and pick out a nice plain one with small scale lace on the edge!)
1. Cut the lace off the side edges of the handkerchief.
2. Fold the handkerchief in half and cut across about 1/2 inch from the top. This gives you a one inch wide strip which will be the waistband.
3. Sew the side seams. Stop sewing about one inch from the top on one side.
4. Measure the doll’s waist. Gather the top edge to fit the doll.
5. Sew the waistband onto the gathered edge- first from the inside and then topstitch on the outside. Hand basting helps. Use a button, snap or hook for a closure.
Iron and your done!