Dark Merman, Skeleton tattoos

I am really excited about working with this African wax print fabric. I need to learn more about it. This piece (which was gifted to me) has a slightly shiny surface, even after washing. I will be keeping my eye out for other patterns that would work with my designs.

I REALLY struggled with his hair. I tried out 3 other colors/patterns before settling on this orange-peachy color. And when I say tried, I mean I cut out the hair and beard, sewed up the beard, pinned it all on his head… then decided I didn’t like it! And his hair style-

I wanted to do something with 2 “braids” but it took a lot of fiddling. Of course that is always the way when figuring out something new.

Merman 2

This merman fellow is more blue-green than his friend yesterday. He has stormy sea green eyes.

More ships and a button that looks like sea glass. A port scene on his back and an embroidered rick rack belt.

Merman 1

OMG- I finished something! It is such a relief to finally have something done!

He has lots of sails and ropes and smoke because A BATTLE!

Little variegated embroidered stitches and a star button.

Different watery and fishy fabrics.

And this week, it’s mermen

Well, I got frustrated with the ornaments and not finishing anything and not enough time sewing and too much computer work and the state of the world… so, I’m taking a break on the ornament patterns. It’ll get done eventually but I need to be in a better/different head space.

Summer seems like the perfect time to make Mermen. I had body parts dyed so I’ve spent this last week putting them together. First, I pulled out a BIG pile of possible Merman colors and prints. Yeah, that’s not the half of it!

Sewing up some fins.

Also- OMG I got my scissors sharpened today- Bliss!!!

The fins, sewed and turned.

A little bit of stuffing before I top-stitch. Everything is organized in zip-lock bags.

All the fins finished.

Then, a Merman sandwich. All pinned up and ready to sew the tail side seams.

A pile, all sewed up. Now is time to clip the seams and turn right side out. I love that part!

And, tada! All the machine sewing is finished and now they are ready to be brought to life. I am really excited about the African wax print textiles I came into recently. As always I am very excited to find out who they will turn out to be.

Here is a pic from my desk- all the thread colors piling up as I was sewing.

Yes, I am all over the place these days. It has been rough . I hope I can get back to posting more because that’ll mean I’m making more so fingers crossed.

What have I been doing!

Sheesh, I had to put something up since it’s been a month of no posts. What have I been doing? Well, not too terribly much. I’ve been working in the garden quite a bit. Besides that though, nothing that has added up to much. I am working on making patterns for ornaments/little felt creatures. I decided to start with the ornaments I designed for West Elm back at least 5 years ago now? I thought that would be an easy place to start- silly me! Everything takes forever these days. Anyway, this is what I’ve been working on-

I’ve been playing with sizes and adjusting patterns pieces. Slowly I will get them done… There is a boy and girl fox, a boy and girl raccoon, a lady squirrel, a moose fellow, and a bear fellow.

As always, I have been a little more active on Instagram but it has mostly been pics of my garden. I hope you all are stay healthy, safe, and sane.

Red-Haired Lumberjack

He has a really long hat :-)

He’s got the same tattoos as the last fellow- Eagle on his chest, George Washington on his arms.

I am planning on getting these onto Etsy today, after I go pick up my vegetable box at the farmers market. I have more lumberjacks sewed up for the future but I think I will stop with these for now. With no shows scheduled and none in the foreseeable future, I want to have a good range of pieces in my online shop so I will go on to something else. That is after I get all my dahlias planted!