I have needle issues.Â I am picky about what I use- some I like to use for wool embroidery, different ones when I am using cotton floss.Â I always seems to be dropping or misplacing them and then can’t find them again.Â I get so distracted if I have to go looking for more needles or threading and unthreading them constantly.Â In the middle of working on one of the babies this morning, I’d had it.Â I needed a better system.
My idea was to have a strip pincushion.Â I could stick all the right type of needles into it at the beginning of a project.Â I could pre-thread several so I wouldn’t be starting and stopping the flow.Â I’d have a place to store my needles that were threaded with a color I was finished with, until next time I needed it.
A while ago, I bought a piece of 100% wool felt at Joanns fabric, but it is really too soft and I hadn’t figured out how to use it for anything.Â I cut a strip, 18″ long and 2 inches wide.Â I cut that into pieces 6 inches x 1 inch and piled them up.
I stitched them together with a fairly heavy pearl cotton- very tightly.Â I wanted it to be dense.Â And here we go-
phew!Â Success! Â It is about 3/4 of an inch thick.Â You could make this out of any scrap wool and I think scrap pieces of felted sweaters would be perfect.Â This way of storing the needles has an added benefit-Â the needles won’t get lost into it like they often do in standard pin cushions.Â Now back to work!
This baby is finished now, but it is wet and rainy outside today, so I will take more photos tomorrow.