I finished him. It turns out he is a pirate. I think it is the boots.
He is a patriotic pirate. He has Ben Franklin on his back and George Washington on his arm.
I used a blue variegated floss for his eyes so they are slightly different colors.
Isn’t this perfect for his hair?
I found this little buckle in my stash. Perfect.
Things don’t always go smoothly when I’m putting the dolls together. I cut this tattooed man out last spring and sewed him up at the end of May. Now I stuffed the body and did the face embroidery. I sewed the fingers and then stuffed the arms. I was about to sew the arms on when I realized they not the same size. At all. I put everything aside and went to Vermont.
Today I unstuffed both arms, back to the hands. Then I carefully retraced the pattern onto the bigger arm. There was a bit of fiddling on both, sewing, taking out, resewing. Fixing mistakes often takes much longer than you’d ever expect. And of course I don’t have enough fabric to just make new ones.
But, he made it through the reconstructive surgery. He did not end up in the pile of not-sure-how-to-fix problem dolls. Phew!