I become highly aware of how long the dolls take me to make when I have to start from the beginning of the process and work all the way through. I am getting ready for the ArtProvidence Show (in One WeeK!) and I want to have a good selection of all the things. Most of the time, the various steps are separated, sometimes by more than a year. But, last Saturday, I pulled out my pattern pieces to make some Lady Pillow dolls because the bin of pre-mades and pre-cut pieces was empty.
I went though all my bins of wool to choose the dress and skin colors. Yes, they are heavy and I am getting old- phew, what a workout! Next, cut out the various dress pieces. Choose half of the dress pieces and match some “skin” colors to them, then shoes. Cut. Put the extra dresses aside for another day. I now have 8 ladies ready to sew up into their unembellished selves.
Stuff and sew them closed. Pull out my bags of smaller scraps of wool and cashmere. Choose hair colors and figure out hair-dos. Cut and sew. Embroider faces and hands. Okay, now I’m getting nervous because the week is flying by. I choose four out of the eight to focus on. Sew on their hair. Start designing their dresses.
I get three ladies done with a basic design idea and start hand-sewing. Finally the most fun part! So, today, pretty much a week later, I have something to show you. Oh, and one of the ladies is now bald again because I decided that I didn’t like her hair. I’m still hoping to have 4 ladies finished by the end of the weekend but we shall see.
This first lovely lady is more Spring than Autumn so maybe she is Australian.She is covered in butterflies, flowers, and leaves; most cut from reclaimed cashmere but with a little wool too.