Oh the poor tattooed men, waiting and waiting!
But, I had to get to work on some swaddled babies- I am off to California soon to teach the class so I need to make a few to refresh my memory and help me organize all my tools and supplies. If you are near LA and interested in joining the class, I believe there are a few seats left.
Sweet sleepy baby face-
Eye patch, striped pants with high boots, skeleton tattoos and an awesome belt buckle button. This fabulous lion button come from my mom’s collection/stash so it probably dates from the 70s or 80s.
I had to google the plural of octopus.
The arm fabric looks like seaweed to me.
And I still have some of this absolutely perfect merman hair fabric left so let’s use it!
I thought that trim looked pretty great for a belt- I thought I’d look up what the official name is for that trim but I don’t even know where to start!
A Merman should come after the fish, I am absolutely sure. I am still working through a pile of men that are sewed and stuffed, prepared before Christmas. Little by little, they all come to life.
I made his beard from a quilting batik fabric.
This toile- ships and florals.
These fine fish fellows will get into my etsy shop sometime this weekend. If you want to make your own, here is a link to my pattern.
It is like a little vacation to make some quick and easy fish after the girl dolls.
I played around with adding details and some variegated thread.
Angora tail ♥
Here she is, the last of the bunch.
She has amazing mohair hair. I’m not sure when I acquired the mohair but it was a long time ago. It was in a bag full of possible doll hair fibers, up in the attic. As I sorted through the choices, it was obvious that I’d already used it for hair once before- now I was curious! I went back through all my photos. And back, and back, and back. Right to the very beginning of when I had a digital camera. Here! That is 2001 and some of my first dolls. (And my daughter.) That was before I was blogging, before Flickr, before Facebook and all the rest.
Anyway, I used the mohair again and then went back to the fabric hair that I used for the rest of this group of dolls. I haven’t figured out a way to use the yarn fibers in a way that I am 100% satisfied with. I like her hair but I’m not sure who is in control here!
I made her a kitty in a bag.
Here she is in her underwear,with all her things.
I love these colors. They make me think of forest and Autumn.
It was sooooo cold when I went out to take her photos- my hands were numb by the time I finished! She definitely needed her hat and scarf.
I gave her shoes a little extra fancy-
I had so much fun putting these fabrics together!
The hair on her head is wool ribbing, the braids are wool roving.
Here she is, keeping me company in my studio.
I am having so much fun dressing these girls. This awesome girl has a side-buttoning skirt made from scraps from a shirt I made a few years ago. Her shirt is a Liberty lawn and her cardigan is made from a repurposed thrifted sweater.
Her hair made from a wool knit (another repurposed thrifted sweater).
And silk ribbons for a little fancy.