Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am trying to do some catch-up posting.
Amy suggested that the slightly injured kids I did a few weeks back looked like they’d been in a playground tussle. That is how I am thinking about them now. I’ve made another skinned knee girl.
I won’t be listing any more in my Etsy shop for now because it clicked-in the other day that it is only 2 weeks to the South End Holiday Market… Yikes! That said- if you think you need one of these dolls as they go by, email me (mimik(at)pobox.com). I don’tÂ want to spend a day figuring out photos and descriptions for Etsy when I ought to be making more, but I am happy to sell them directly… does that make sense I hope? Then, I will have an update on December 15.
Another party girl with little buns. This time she is dressed in soft pastels.
Here she is, out in the sun. I love the shadow.
This is a crazy, crazy time of year. I am not keeping up with postings or my emails. Just in case you are waiting for a reply…
this is my 900th post- wow… that’s a lot for someone who used to consider herself writing phobic.
Kerry tagged me a while back for 7 random things. These will be Very random and a bit rambling.
1. Pie makes me think of Mary. I made that one last night.
2. If I make a doll and it makes me think of one of Rosa’s daughters, I feel like it is a success!
3. This is one of my brothers. And this is another. This is my husband. This is my husbands’ brother. My daughter works here.
4. I bought this book by Ruth Singer from AmazonUK. The exchange rate has flipped and now I feel like I got a great deal by going through a UK site. The book is beautiful. I will probably post more about it on another day.
5. I love the internet. Ebay was my entry drug. The craft/art blog community and Flickr are at the top of my love list. I am liking Twitter but still getting used to it. I am still not clear on how Facebook fits into my life. Etsy works for me.
6. I did one of these memes a while back. That star I mentioned? Here it is-
7. This makes me incredibly sad. I have been involved with blogs- reading, commenting, writing- for about 5 years now. I have read about new houses, sicknesses, babies born, pregnancies lost, marriages and divorces, and sometimes it seems that someone just disappears. This is the first time I have felt connected to someone going into hospice. And the odd thing is, I have been a lurker for all the years I’ve watched her amazing drawings go by. Maybe I commented once. But, I still feel like I know her in a way. Her artwork touched me. I teared up when I read this post.
I will try to tag some people soon- right now I feel exhausted just doing this!
Four more. Two are green hills-
And 2 snowy hills-
This one has a little bit of Christmas in it-
and a chipped saucer. That’s what you get from thrift store tea cups.
I will be putting them onto Etsy either tonight ot tomorrow morning.
They are up.
Salley Mavor came over for a visit today. She was in town to meet with her publisher. She is working on a book of nursery rhymes. She brought some of the pages to show me. They take your breath away with their details and craftsmanship. I took some photos-
this is a detail shot of the chair that the girl is sitting on-
do you see the embroidered detail on the shirt above? Amazing!
I love the bees in this one-
Stone wall of felt and beads. The gate has hooks and eyes for hardware-
And that rat! I love him!
This is what I’ve been working on-
I will post better photos onto the blog and list them on etsy once I get some decent photos.
I’ve listed 4 girls on Etsy. I think I’m having separation anxiety- it was really hard to do that listing!
I also listed some magnet sets with some other girl dolls.
btw- I’ve been Twittering occasionally here- if anyone is interested.
I wish that I had this dress for my daughter when she was little-
It is all cashmere and so soft.
Have you seen the Whip-Up calendar? It was one of the projects I’d alluded to over here. The request for an image was what inspired me to buy the new camera… which, btw, I am loving.
I am so proud to be part of it! And, with such great company!
Kathreen has been so supportive of my work and of other artists doing offbeat fiber arts. So, a HUGE thank you to Kathreen!
The calendar is available here. I just bought mine- with shipping from Australia it was $28.93.
This doll is what I’d imagined for my autumn color inspired girls. She has finally showed up!
She also has felted wool roving dreadlocks. They look completely different from the ones on Flower child. I used different kinds of wool- not on purpose. I have a bag of mixed colors of roving and there was a small ball of black- I think merino wool. I divided up the wool into “snakes” and ran them through the washing machine. They came out looking like slugs. Not what I was expecting, but I love them.
Her dress makes me think of fairy tales.
Maybe a Spanish or Latin American fairy tale.
Her dress is cashmere from the same sweater as the Autumn girl.
A bit of felt behind the button hole to stabilize it.
a little applique on the hem-
A top view of the felt roses in her hair.
It must be a good thing when I finish a doll and I think- How can I bear to part with it? That means I am truly happy with how it came out!
Let me know if you have any problems with the blog- we have moved to a different server and various little tweaks are happening. Sometimes that can cause “issues”. And huge aggrevation for me until I figure out all the very annoying new features. Arg!